Apr 15, 2011

THE MADMAN 20th ANNIVERSARY MONSTER!

    (not final cover)
Okay, we'll call this the "official" announcement. This is the BIGGEST of the BIG and should be coming at you sometime around Thanksgiving (it's almost completely done, so confidence is high on making that goal).  Here's the skinny:  This baby will be published at the enormous size  of approximately 11 x 17 inches in Hard Cover.  If you saw the Wednesday Comics collection you'll have a very good idea of the format, only FATTER.  This very special book will feature my biggest and most important Frank "Madman" Einstein story yet (no hype here), as well as ALL-NEW "monster-size" strips from all three Hernandez Bros., Matt Wagner, Bernie Mireault, Joe Quinones, Frank Quitely, Peter Bagge, Dean Haspiel, Dave Cooper, Eric Powell, Darwyn Cooke, Philip Bond & Peter Milligan, Jay Stephens, Erik Larsen, David Mack, Pat McEown, Craig Thompson, Paul Pope, Jeff Smith, Steven T. Seagle & Teddy Kristiansen, Michael Avon Oeming, Al Columbia, and Kyle Baker!  There's a framing device written by Jamie S. Rich drawn by Valentino and myself, an incredible essay on independent characters by Adam McGovern illustrated by Michel Fiffe and myself, and then...THEN every single Madman/Atomics pin-up from the past 20 years including Kirby, Toth, Kubert, Moebius, BWS, Stout, Kaluta, Vess, Stevens, Miller, Simonson, Byrne, Chadwick, Schultz, Rude, Aragones, Nowlan, Bolland, Ware, Clowes, Seth, Woodring, Sale, Cassaday, Acuna, Noto, Grampa, Pander, McCloud, Chiarello, Dorkin, Hewlett, Hughes, Gibbons, Darrow, Adams, Mignola, Lee, Silvestri, Harris, Bolton, Brereton, Thompson, Bradstreet, Gianni, Johnson, Burns, Ross, Morrison, Silverman, Moore, Morse, Mahfood, Russell, Rivoche, Cherkas, Hampton, Sienkiewicz, Silke, Hempel, Groening, Watson, Wray, Lark, Cho, Blevins, Manley, Bone, Del Carmen, Timm, and many MANY more!  HUGE!  

30 comments:

  1. "most important Frank "Madman" Einstein story yet"

    Comments like this make me nervous. I hope that everyone comes out of this story in one piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be scared. It's the party of the century!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exciting!! Its already hard to say no to a Madman book. Now its impossible!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, in my day you could get a funny book for 10 cents and stuff it in your back pocket! And we liked it fine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow ! Nice project ! Hope i could get one !

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAH! Maybe YOU could. I think my first comic was 12 cents (stinkin' inflation)! My next goal is too start building Madman houses with Murals on every wall. Once you go big you can only go bigger. Then Madman space vehicles and space stations and inter-dimentional frames... Then I'll spend all my profits on making 10 cent comics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, I will HAVE to pick this up, it sounds FANTASTIC. Most of the names in that list are creators I really admire. WOW :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, just when I feel satisfied with the newest Ginchy Special and Atomica... you've gotta go and make me feel like (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction.

    Will there be a signed/unsigned version of this megalithic gem?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha! You old timers and your 10 cents comics. I started when comics were 35 cents and... and... wow, I AM old. :(

    Regardless, this is going to be incredible. November can't come soon enough. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. wait. let me pick up my jaw as it has fallen down to the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Probably no signed edition. This'll be one of those books you haul around collecting signatures for years to come. I know I will. "Stay cool", "Have a great Summer", "See you next year"...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm holding out for a "Stay as sweet as you are!" from Pope, and a "2 Sweet 2 Me 2 Be 4 Got = 10!" from Gilbert Hernandez!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd settle for a "Stop asking me for autographs!" from Mike and a polite "Get off my lawn!" from Jamie.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wowsers!
    All I can say is Happy Birthday Frank!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. yeah and youll have to reanimate kirby toth and frazzeta
    also with al columbia please with sugar ontop show on youre blog
    p.s. ten years since joey ramones death moment of silene

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks wow,you are prolific,Doc.I hope this is the start of a Madman renaissance as well,so awaiting to get this in my hands,will order at elast 2-3 copies for sure,

    all the best,

    ReplyDelete
  17. Man alive!! This is pretty exciting! I am going to have to invest in a custom, reenforced bookshelf to hold all of these mammoth Allred collections!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow I may new like a truck when I pick one up! Talk about off the chart on talent. I have the two Madman card sets so I assume some of the pinups will be from those images? Sounds like quite a book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mike, Congrats on the 20 year mark, I'm excited for the monster already. Can't wait to get my grubby mits on it . All the best to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh man i can't waaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiit

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is going to be awesome! Will any of those Comic Twart pin-ups be included in the book? They really knocked it out of the park over there.

    ReplyDelete
  22. WANT :D :D :D great move mike, i loved the madman picture exhibition books but i always wished they were BIGGER

    ReplyDelete
  23. ok, it's in previews! but not on amazon pre-order yet. bit chomping!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Psst, the world economy is in the toilet. As a retailer, when I see a price tag like this one, all I can think is "Well, there's another thing people will buy from Amazon for 20% off" I mean, I want to order 10 of them, then I look in my wallet and say "oh yeah, you're broke."

    ReplyDelete
  25. well, what're ya gonna do, right? consumer, creator, and retailer are all in hard positions.

    ReplyDelete